Hard to decide where to start, since I pretty much live a 24 hour day, let's just start at 6:00 am.
- Seth is awake to be nursed. If I'm lucky, he's been asleep since 4:00 or so, if not, then I've been awake since 4:00.
- Finish feeding Seth, he's asleep (yes!) and I try to sneak back to bed for an hour or so.
- Adeline wakes up on cue.
- Adeline wakes Seth back up. Might as well just get up.
- It's 7:30 now, Seth decided he needs to eat again (he doesn't care that it's not time yet). Settle in to feed him.
- As soon as I get settled, Adeline announces, "I huunngry!" Since toddlers have zero patience, put Seth down to go fix Adeline's breakfast.
- Feed Adeline, clean up mess.
- Seth's demanding the rest of his meal.
- Take care of that, then everyone's diapers need changing. Change Seth, chase down Adeline, change Adeline, Seth dirties his diaper again.
- From about 10:00 - 1:00 is just a repeat of the above. Then comes naptime.
- Oh, naptime, THE hardest part of the day. Getting them to sleep at the same time is impossible. Everytime I get Adeline to sleep, Seth starts crying and wakes her back up.
- Adeline (hopefully) gets a two-hour nap to make up for the sleep she's been losing.
- David's home by 5:30 - 6:00. Turn care of Adeline over to David.
- Cook dinner, clean up kitchen. Nurse baby. David and Adeline are off to bed. I'm up til 11:00, still nursing baby.
- Put Seth down in bassinet, praying he doesn't wake back up. (He usually does.) Get up with him again at 12:00 or 1:00. Then again at 4:00. Then again at 6:00.
By the time you subtract the hour and a half it takes to feed/change him each time, I get 3-4 hours of sleep in a 24 hour day. Definitely difficult. And I've been trying to potty-train Adeline in the midst of all this. I've got my hands full : )
Over the weekend, I pulled out the Babywise book I bought while I was pregnant with Adeline.

I didn't use it with her, but since I'm scared of never sleeping again, I thought I would check it out. No thanks, we tried it for a whole day, and it was MISERABLE. Plus, it advocates the "let them cry it out" method of sleep training, and while that might work for some people, I can't stand to do that. We only tried it twice and Seth screamed way longer than the 10 minutes the book said he would. He got himself so upset I thought he might throw up. Any of you had any success with Babywise?
Oh, and we need a new name for our blog. Any suggestions? I know most of you are more creative than me. And sorry about no pictures. (See average day above). I'll work on getting some soon.

2 comments:
WOW! Now I know why I only have one!!! I can't imagine how exhausted you must be, Ginger. I read Babywise and also found it a little too strict for us. We did let Bryce cry it out, but only after he was much older. Maybe 7-8 mos. old? It was horribly hard for us, but only took about 3 nights and he has slept like a dream ever since. The book I really like is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It was way more laid back than Babywise. Good luck getting some sleep, mom! Hope to see you all soon.
Brooke, Anthony, and Bryce
ohhhhhhhhhhh im having flashforwards of my life come december!!!
i didn't do babywise either- my pediatritian does not recommend it. we didn't let camp 'cry it out' until 4 months old- that is when my doc said that he was waking up for comfort, not nutrition. i have had friends that have used babywise and loved it - and it worked for them - but they all only have one child (it works for natalie jolly) - im sure it is hard when seth can wake up adeline. does she have a sleep machine in her room? (they might share a room, so that might not help at all) good luck!
as my mom always says, "this too shall pass!"
Post a Comment